About the WMBA
The Winnipeg Minor Basketball Association was established in 1997 with a vision to provide a structured basketball league for Winnipeg area children, open for all to participate. The league tipped off with 40 teams, based out of 12 Community Centers. The WMBA now supports over 200 teams and offers 6 leagues, spanning all age groups.
Mission & Objectives
The mission of the WMBA is to provide a positive environment for all Winnipeg & surrounding area youth, coaches, referees and parents by promoting the sport of basketball through a community centre program.
Objectives of the WMBA:
Mike Ruta - Founder
- To provide a volunteer-based basketball league for Winnipeg & surrounding area youth to participate in.
- To foster and encourage personal and athletic growth, education and development of all players, coaches and officials who participate in our programs.
- To encourage equal participation and strong values of basketball, such as teamwork and fair play within the Association.
- To encourage and promote volunteer involvement in basketball through the Association.
- To define, develop and uphold the rules & regulations of basketball as adopted by this Association and ensure that participating community centres follow the rules, regulations and procedures as presented by the General Council of Winnipeg Community Centres.
- To seek corporate and community support for the Association.
Mike Ruta, the Association’s first President, formed the Winnipeg Minor Basketball Association in the fall of 1997. Mike’s vision was to provide a structured basketball league for Winnipeg area children, open for all to participate. In recognition for his accomplishments, Mike was named the Sport Manitoba Volunteer of the Year in 1997 for his tireless efforts and support for a youth basketball program.